Friday, April 13, 2007

Pukeapolooza and Potty Training Hell

Oh, how could my days get any more exciting?!

It's been a week of wonderment and excitement, I tell ya.

Or maybe not.

We started out pretty good, had a great Easter Sunday, the kids got way too much candy and we got to visit with both Juniors parents and mine, as well as my sister and her kids came to visit too! Then on Monday morning we got up the kids and I got ready to head up to Edmonton to visit family. We spent the day hanging until we finally got to go to my Mom's for a few hours before bed and then I spent a wonderful night's sleep on a cold air mattress in the living room with the great-big streetlamp shining down on me. Ahhh, bliss. I was awoken suddenly at 5:30am to Ash telling me that Harris puked all over the bed the kids were sharing. A great start to an even greater day. Luckily we were up so early that we had lots of time for a shower and get packed up to go over to my Aunt's house. The girls got to go babysit with her at her church group while Harris and I hung out. After dropping the girls off at the church Harris almost immediately puked up his breakfast all over himself and the car and car seat so I burned rubber back to my Aunt's house to spent the next hour bathing him and cleaning the car seat. He puked again that afternoon while my cousin's kids were over, a nice big juice colored splat on the kitchen floor. Luckily that was it for the puking for him. On Wednesday Harris and I headed home, only to have him writhing in pain in his car seat and us having to stop four times in two hours. His poor little tummy was hard with gas and he just had to fart, and poop, and poop some more. At one point we were both in tears from the stress of it all, but we finally made it home in one piece. Then that night I got to puke up my dinner and yesterday I felt crappy all day long. But I soldiered on, I had made up my mind that we were trying out this potty training business starting Thursday, and that's exactly what we did.

We spent the first 2 and a half hours yesterday waiting for him to decide it was ok to pee on the potty. He finally did just as I was about to give up. Then he peed lots and lots on the potty last night, to much cheering and clapping. This morning he has peed twice on the potty and pooped once on the floor. I guess it's a good start. It's really reminding me why I hate potty training. I wish we could send the kids away to potty training camp and have them come home all trained up.

I'm thinking that this will be a go, he seems to get the whole premise of peeing in the pot instead of on the floor or himself. But I'm not fooling myself into believing that we've got it under control yet, because I know too well that this is a loonnnngggg process that could end up going awry.

My girls come home in a few hours and I'm hoping that they didn't catch the pukey thing and we will have a nice, warm weekend. It's actually supposed to be nice today, maybe we can go to the park or something. What a thought!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It has hit our house with a vengeance. I have graduated to Lipton's Chicken Noodle...otherwise known as 'salt in a cup'. So far so good.

The fact that Harris has figured out he likes the potty is half the battle. My pediatrician told me in the beginning they do "one" or the "other" to start with. Once they have success doing whichever one they choose, the next one follows along fairly quickly. It was true in our house. Hope it goes as smoothly in yours.