Friday, December 22, 2006

Happy Birthday Sistah!

Today is my big sister's birthday. She is two years and two days older than me. So that means right now she is officially 3 years older than me. He, he....

Anyhow. Tomorrow is our joint birthday party, we get together every year to celebrate, I don't remember a time in the past 10 years that we haven't been able to do it. And I am SO excited. She is at my parents place right now, with her husband and two boys.

I haven't seen my dear sis, Suzy, since she moved away in late August. We talk on the phone but it's just not the same. I miss her dearly. She only lived close to me for 6 months (but it was great being able to just come out and visit for an afternoon), and before that she was living on her farm which was 2 1/2 hours away. I have wanted to come visit her (she is now almost 4 hours away) but she has been renovating her house and it just didn't seem feasible. It makes me sad to think that it is so tough to see her, so as with all of those emotional things, I just shove it back there until it bubbles over. Today I had a little cry (just a teeny little one) about how much I miss her. I hate how her life has taken her so far away. And I don't like that I barely know my beautiful nephews.

When she lived on the farm we never went more than a few months in between visits. The kids and I would pack up and head down for a lazy weekend visiting the animals. Suzy and I would spend long hours chatting about life and the kids would play. This past year has been so hectic, with two moves for her and dealing with kids in school and extra curricular stuff, it just doesn't feel like we can get it together to see one another. I'm hoping that things will calm down and we will see each other more. It's something to work towards.

Oh, and so is our joint goal of running a half-marathon. She ran my first 5K and 10Ks with me this year, and could have easily blown me away if she had wanted. I know that she has been training a lot harder than me, even with my treadmill. I'm thinking of signing up for something in June, that gives me 6 months, 3 months to get up to 10K mileage again (and run another race) and then another 3 months for half-marathon mileage. If it weren't for her I would probably give up. But I gotta do it, my big sister said so!


Happy Birthday Suzy! I love you.

No comments: