Friday, October 06, 2006

Dawn


Oh, where do I start with Dawn? She is confusing and wonderful....

Dawn is like a bouncing ball of energy, literally bounding her way through life. She is so full of joy and wonder, so many questions and ideas on the world. She can be so very impulsive and minipulative, which get her into trouble a lot. But they can also be good things, she says what is on her mind and she can get what she wants. She told me the other day that she could do Daddy's voice and she proceeded to say (in a deep and 5-year old girl manly voice) "go clean-up your mess!"

She is so very, very stubborn. Today after she and Ash were home from school I was watching Art for a few hours. The kids were all playing well together (Harris was in bed napping), when all of the sudden the girls are scrapping. Turns out that Dawn wants the blue car (because that's the GIRL car of course) and Ash was using it. So I gave Dawn a few options, to play with a different car or go play something else, she chose to go to her room and play with her ponies until Ash was done playing with the blue car. Stubborn.

Dawn has an absolute fascination with animals. Her first word wasn't Mommy or Daddy, it was kitty, if that tells you anything. She has collected all kinds of little plastic animals, and used to line them up in neat little rows since she could line things up in neat little rows. She has a major collection of My Little Ponies, and Barbie horses, and is now wanting to collect (only the pretty ones!) all of the Littlest Pet Shop animals she can. I don't know if it is a good thing that her Aunt Suze has a horse or not, because she is always wanting to go and visit the horses, and proceeds to point out any along the roadside when we go anywhere. I love how she is so fascinated with all types of animals, and so far all of the books brought home from the library in Kindergarden have been animal related. She says she's going to be a vetrinarian or an animal groomer one day, she can't decide what would be better. And she has also told me that she is going to own at least 5 dogs and 5 cats, just for starters. You can imagine her distain for us with not having any more than 2 cats in the house (and no plans to expand the collection).

I have days where I just don't know what to do with Dawn. She knows how to push my buttons at just the right time to get right under my skin, the other two have never made me so angry the way that she does. She likes to play dumb, and I can't quite figure out what she gets out of it, I think it's a control thing. Like she will ask me what her friend's name is, 10 minutes after telling me her friends name, and then laugh in this coy was saying "Oh! That's right, I forgot. He, he, he..." She also has a way of getting amped-up to super-speed when we are out. This is when she is most impulsive. Doing things like chasing Harris, picking him up, pulling him around, after I have asked her a million times not to. She just can't seem to help herself.

But she cares SO much about Ash and Harris. She plays so well with both of them and really caters to their games. I can really see how she struggles to keep everyone happy. The typical middle child I suppose. I wish that I could bottle her up and keep her sweetness forever. Because that is what I never want to forget. Because I know, for sure, that she is going to be hell of wheels when she hits puberty. Can we say "Party girl?"

1 comment:

Em said...

I never full appreciated Dawn's My Little Pony collection before - but recently G has gone crazy over MLP and she's going to have a MLP party for her birthday!