Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Back at Square One...

Today is a good enough day.

It's time to stop wallowing in the pit of self pity that I have been in for the past month and get back into it. I have been making excuses since I hurt my ankle about why I couldn't exercise. "I just don't have time!" "I don't want to make things worse." "I don't mind being fat, really!"

Well today when I was over at my friend Anna's house she got a call from her friend Nat. I've hung out with Nat at Anna's house before and she is a nice lady, just really intense in a "in your face" kind of way. Anyhow, a few weeks ago Nat found a lump in her breast, she has had two mammograms, an ultrasound and now a biopsy of said lump. When she called today it wasn't good. It's the big C, and apparently very aggressive. She's waiting for a call from the Cancer Clinic to find out when the surgery to remove her breast will be. Nat is 31 years old and has two kids, 3 1/2 and 2 and no family history of cancer. She is a little ball of stress, a little overweight, but otherwise healthy.

This could be me.

So when I came home today and made the kids lunch, I thought to myself that it's about time I get back to it. Where would my family be without me? It's up to me to make myself happy and make myself healthy so that I can be there for my family. When I put Harris down for a nap this afternoon, instead of doing a craft or reading or folding laundry, I strapped on my shoes and went for a run (pre-approved by my physiotherapist of course) and then lifted weights. My body didn't like it too much, but my mind did. My mind needed the workout.

So today is a good enough day. A good enough day to start over, again.

3 comments:

Mitch said...

Good on you girlfriend. I'm proud of you. I've just started back at the gym after being off for two months due to my throat.

I'm sorry to hear about Nat, that is terrible news for anyone let alone someone so young with such a young family. I hope they manage to get all the cancer and treat it successfully.

Em said...

That's a great motto: today is a good enough day... I like it.

FisherGirl said...

I'm so proud of you. Starting again is so hard.