Thursday, October 19, 2006

Article on my Dad....

Today my Dad came by with yesterday's paper. It had this article on the front page.

The past few years of my parents life have been trying. First my step-Grandpa is diagnosed with a brain tumor, then just as he is starting to get much worse and needs to be put in a nursing facility things start going bad at WestJet with this scandal. My sister and I were both newly pregnant with the boys and immersed in our own lives, which is why (I am telling myself) that he chose not to share the airline stuff with us. Then right around the same time that the court battle is heating up and he is getting subpoenaed, my Papa, my Dad's dad, has a massive stroke from which he never recovered. Six months later my step-Grandpa died. All during this time my parents were worried that they were going to lose everything that they had worked for. My Dad realized that he didn't do things "by the book" and felt that he may be sued. At the same time they are travelling back and forth from their home to their parents hospitals in Edmonton. All the while Suzy and I had no clue.

I am proud of my Dad because he did what was right, and he did it because that's just who he is. This is the way I was raised, that you can't lie, cheat or steal to get what you want. You work hard and you take what life gives you. I, mistakenly, went and read the comments for this article and it is really disturbing. It's hard to think that so many people feel that my Dad has done this for personal gain and they are calling him a rat and a snitch. But from reading the article, how could you know otherwise? Also, from reading this article I too, would think that he was waiting with baited breath for an apology from either airline, and that is certainly NOT true. He knows the airline biz far too well to know that it's never gonna happen. He never went searching out the Globe and Mail for this, he wanted it all to go away and has turned down an interview with the CBC. It makes me want to comment and defend him, but I know that it wouldn't do any good. People will feel what they feel. Maybe he didn't do it exactly right, but in the end he did what was right and just, and that's what matters.

I am thankful that this is all over for him, and I am hoping that he will enjoy the real estate business. He was so happy today. Happier than I have seen him in a long time. He has been a wound-up ball of nerves for so long now, it's nice to see a glimpse of the old Dad back. I wish I was a better writer, I wish that I could explain myself more eloquently, but this is the best I've got.

No comments: