Thursday, March 22, 2007

Artist? Nah...Crafty? YES!

Sometimes I like to think of myself as a bit of an artist.

Well, maybe I'm the artsy type (in my mind) but with no formal training. I have a friend that is an artist, and although I haven't seen any of her work lately, I know that she is really good at it. I wish that I lived closer to her so she could give me formal lessons, I would LOVE to take one of her classes.

Instead of formal lessons I head over to the ceramics studio every Tuesday night for classes. It's my night out, my break from the munchkins and it gives me my creative outlet. I'm not that good, but I am getting better. I see some of the pieces from others that are so much more experienced than I am and I am in awe. But I love to go to my classes and it helps me to fulfill my artist fantasy. I'm really missing it right now that I can't go (because Junior is in school and money is extra tight).

Every Christmas my mommies group does a secret Santa and I have always made my Santee a special cup with her name on it. I think back to my first few cups, and I feel a tad sorry for my friend that has to have that cup in her cupbord. They were very "crafty" and not very nice. What can I say, I was learning. But as I continue on with my classes I am finding that now that I kind of know what I am doing and I know what to expect from certain things my pieces are getting much more presentable in public and so I am happy to give away pieces, instead of being ashamed of them. Although now it makes me sad to give away those pieces because I want to keep them for myself!
The matching Clyde and Flapper cats I made for my step-Mom and the elephant pot I will be giving my mother-in -law for her birthday.


So to curb my urge to keep everything I occassionally make things just for me, and it gives me a little rush to see them in use.
I have recently made myself some new bowls for veggies and such, as well as an appetizer set, you know for all that entertaining I do.

These pieces were so much fun to do, and I am really proud of their outcome. When I go back to my classes in May I have to start on my Christmas pieces for friends and family next year, hopefully I will like those enough to give them away, but not so much that I want to keep all of them.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Oooh pretty! I must figure out a way to be your santee next year :) :).

Lynne said...

I haven't had you yet?! Well, hopefully next year it will work out!